Great salespeople know how to reach the right people and sell those people on their product. In the same way, you’ll need find people who might want to stay in your home and show them why it’s perfect for their needs.
Who Are Your Customers? What Are They Looking For?
Your “target customer” anyone who needs a temporary place to stay in your area. Those people might include:
- Travelers like yourself who seek the comfort, convenience, cultural experience, and cost savings they get from staying in a home instead of a hotel
- Grandparents, other relatives, and friends of local residents who want a place of their own during a visit
- Families with children who need cooking facilities and space to spread out when they travel
- People who are coming to your area to attend weddings, graduations, reunions, and other events
- Local homeowners who need a place to stay during renovations or after a sale
- House-hunters who need a short-term rental while they find a permanent home
- Visiting educators, medical personnel on rotation, researchers, filmmakers, artists, and writers
- Businesspeople and government employees who are in your area for a conference or on a temporary assignment
How do my customers find my home listing?
Think about how you search for an exchange or rental home. You probably start with your destination – a city or town, a region, a country, or area of the world. Next, you’ll filter search results to find homes that are available on your travel dates, have enough space and beds for your group, and – not least – price. Once you find some homes that meet your criteria, you’ll examine possible listings with other questions in mind: Which homes seem pleasant, comfortable, and well cared for? What are the neighborhoods like? What’s available in the surrounding area? What amenities do the homes offer?
“But I have an ordinary home, in an ordinary place”
Sure, it’s easier to attract people to an apartment near the Eiffel Tower, a penthouse in Manhattan, or a beach house in Honolulu. But we’ve found that lots of people are interested in our ordinary suburban house. Most travelers are willing to stay in a modest place as long as it’s clean, comfortable and in the right location. When you prepare your home listing, think about what you can say in your listing that will make your home appealing and help it stand out from the competition.
What’s Next: Which Listing Site Should I Use?