There’s lots to do once you decide to swap or rent out your home. Like any other project, planning and organization helps everything go more smoothly. To get started. . .
- For a home exchange, think about where you’d like to go. Choose a few places you’d really like to visit – you can always change your mind.
- Educate yourself. Renting, and even swapping, raises legal, tax, and insurance issues. Find out what they are.
- Decide when you’ll be away. Obviously, your home will be available only when you’re not living there so decide when that will be.
- Consider what your home has to offer. What’s special about your home? What might attract a potential exchange partner or tenant?
- For a rental, decide how much to charge. Can you charge enough to make the whole thing worthwhile?
- Choose the best websites on which to list your home. There are lots of listing sites, each with its own pros and cons.
What’s Next: Educate yourself